Monday, June 7, 2021

James River Park: Initial Description

     The James River Park area is located only a couple miles from where I currently live. Although I lived in Richmond from 2017-2019, I never visited the James River Park or the North Bank Trail until I started searching for a study area for this summer semester (2021). The scope includes various trails and wetlands. Because the park system has an Invasive Plant Task Force, there is an opportunity to learn about the invasive plant species in the area. Additionally, the site is also used heavily for recreational activities, providing a chance to analyze any conflict between locals and the park system’s biodiversity.

    Because the North Bank Trail is over 2 miles long, it may have much biodiversity to study. During a couple of visits to the trail, I saw various bird species and one turtle species that I have not yet identified (but I do have a picture). The scope seems likely to have many different tree species, which will help with assignments focused on dendrology later in the semester. Fortunately, the James River Park System has opportunities for science-focused tours, volunteer work, and published information on the invasive plants of the area. These resources will bring plenty of chances to gain material for studying the area and in-depth knowledge of the park.

More information on the James River Park can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With English Ivy

On July 8th, I volunteered with HandsOn Geater Richmond to help manage Hedera helix , commonly known as English ivy. I was with a group that...